Sunday, January 3, 2010


I have a good selection of Bibles. I think it's one of the many blessings of being a Christian in America. I do however, have a favorite. It is my study Bible and one of the things I would want to grab on the way out of my home if ever it were on fire.
You see, I am a "Bible marker". I underline, and write notes in my bible. After all these years it is a record of my life ,of sorts. My markings reflect the passages that have been precious to me over the years. God's words that did His intended work in my heart when I needed them most.

This year of 2010 our church leadership has challenged us to read through the book of Proverbs, 1 chapter a day (there are 31) every month for the entire year. We will read through the book 12 times by the end of the year. I am excited about this because the book of Proverbs has been such a source of teaching and encouragement to me over the years and through the various stages of my life.

Today I was reading chapter 3. Verses 3 and 4, (previously underlined), caught my attention anew.
"Let love and faithfulness never leave you, bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man."

Love and Faithfuless
! These are two attributes of God that are most precious to me. His Love for me and faithfulness to me, and those that I love, have been strong holds for me personally, and have largely shaped who I am today and how I view life. When life throws me a curve ball God's love and faithfulness remind me that there will always be an unchanging element in my life that I can cling to.

This passage of scripture is telling me to mirror my heavenly Father. That challenge is one that isn't easy for this imperfect person, but I truly want to be to God, and to the people in my life, what HE is to me.

If you have no bible reading plans for this new year how about reading Proverbs with your messy friends. That way we can share our hearts throughout the year via this blog.
Enjoy today and remember His Love and Faithfulness to each one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment