Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sandscapes


Yesterday, while cleaning one of the many piles that have accumulated over the past school year, I came across my 'Art in Motion - Sandscapes' purchase of last year. Inside a glass rectangular frame, tiny grains of colored sand pass through small holes, creating amazing scenes of peaks and valleys that shimmer in the sunlight. It was purchased with the idea that it would help my active four year old students relax and enjoy the shifting sand. But today, it was me enjoying the changing scenes. As I watched the shifting sand, one hole was inactive. Impatiently, I reached up and gave the case a couple of strong shakes, interfering with the gradual process. What followed was a scene very different from the others. Gone were the peaks and valleys with varying shades, replaced by a flat layer of sand. By stepping in to help, I had altered the course of the grains and eliminated the beauty and potential.

Often, I find this is what I do in my life. Rather than wait on the Lord, I rush in to help, only to find I have done more to hurt than to help. The peaks are breathtaking, but the valleys can be frightening and lonely. Trying to avoid the pain that can happen in the valley, my efforts are spent interfering with God's perfect plan. Rather than grow, I grumble. Rather than trust, I tremble. Rather than climbing for the peak, I am clamoring in the valley. Perhaps, if I stop interfering, I will see the mighty hand of God at work. Help me, Lord, to trust You when You say, "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth," Ps 46:10. Teach me to remember that those who "wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not grow faint," Is 40:31. Then, when I pass through the valleys, rather than trying to interfere, I will be able to say with the Psalmist, "even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of darkness, I will fear no evil, for You are with me, Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me," Ps 23:4.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you dear friend for the reminder!! you bless my soul more often thatn you know!\\Wendy

    ReplyDelete