Sunday, December 5, 2010

Best Friend

The other day I had a few moments of feeling sad for myself as I pondered the fact that at this point in my life I am no ones "best friend". (I know that I am my husbands best friend, but I am talking about girl friends now.)  Over the years, from earliest memories on, there was that one friend, out of all of them, that if asked "who is your best friend" would have replied with my name.

In my adult years, when we would move to a new location because of a job change, I would pray for a "best friend", a "kindred spirit"  and always, God provided.  So although it is embarrassing for me to confess that this best girlfriend relationship is important to me, it is.  As a matter of fact, relationships in general are very important to me, it seems to be the way that I am wired.  So anyway, life happens, and things change, and I think that currently there is no one that would call me their best friend, and I have had some sad moments thinking about this. However, as I was reading the other day, I came upon a familiar passage of scripture that really encouraged me and reminded me of how very blessed I am. Please humor me as I write the passage out in it's entirety.

"Eccl. 4:9-12 Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor. If one person falls the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble. And on a cold night, two people under the same blanket can gain warmth from each other, but how can one be warm alone. A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated but 2 can stand back to back and conquer".....Now at this point you are probably asking, "how does this help her to feel better?"  Keep reading ..... "Three are even better, for a triple braided cord is not easily broken!!!"


I am so blessed to have friendships that make up a multi-stranded cord. They provide me with constant support and encouragement. I am blessed with friends that love me unconditionally and truly value our relationship. I may not top someones best friend list at this point in my life and really that's OK, because I am part of a braid !!

1 comment: