Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Surrendering Self

It is so easy to get wrapped up playing the world's game of comparisons. It is all to easy to become compulsive in the need for approval especially if you are like me.  You see, one of my love languages is words of affirmation and subtly I can fall into the trap of measuring my value by how others perceive me or worse yet, how I think they perceive me. "Do they really like me, am I doing a good job at work, does my family really love me and on and on it goes.
All of these questions are fueled by insecurities and insecurities that go unchecked become self absorption. Gifts and talents are used more for human affirmation than worship of the gift giver. Trying to please others, measuring self worth based on praise and approval is exhausting and a sure fire path to disappointment.
The awesome thing is, and the thing that makes it possible to surrender self, is that God sees me through a lens called Jesus. Herein lies my true worth and when I really get a hold of that truth, I can make the most of opportunities to serve God without the need for human praise.  It's not always easy and I for one will always have to keep and eye on my old insecurities and reign them in when they show themselves. This journey is a constant "remembering" of what I know to be true. This I know... God loves me, He values me, He delights in me and the same is true for you so relax, let God use you and be thankful for the opportunity to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment