Saturday, August 21, 2010

" Freedom in Powerlessness"


I was reading this morning and this phrase jumped out at me on the pages of my book. So I started pondering this concept and how it relates to me and my life.

       You know those times when something is happening within a relationship or in the life of someone you love and you feel totally helpless?  
       You know that urge to step in and try to fix it or share some profound insight that they really "need to hear"?

       Well, I am thinking that those helpless moments should be our cue to step back a bit. Perhaps we need to see that the issue they are struggling with, the choices made or circumstances they are in, legitimately belong to them.

 To step in, try to fix it, offer advice or help not asked for, is like invading their space.  When we do this it can convey a fundamental lack of respect. Why??? Because in essence we may be saying "I don't think you can handle this, or you aren't handling this correctly, so let me tell you what you need to do" 

 By exercising some restraint, and giving them space we can let them know instead, " I respect you enough to believe that you can deal with this, I am here if you need me, you just need to ask".  I am thinking that silence is at times the greatest compliment we can give someone and it conveys that we have confidence in them.


When we accept our helplessness and in a way embrace it, we experience great freedom.  We relinquish the worry and the need for control to God.  We then can step back and watch as He works as only He can.
That is awesome Freedom.

1 comment: